Monday, 18 June 2007

Early Days at Saffron Walden College

Here are a couple of photo's of our early days at college, when my group of friends/sudent teachers was forming and we were all getting to know each other.




This was taken in October 1965 round by the side entrance of the college, near the door into the dining room. I don't know who took it, but suspect that some of my group of friends will have similar photos somewhere! Marilynne looks a bit chilly in this one below. . . .




. . . . but here she's having a whale of a time in her nightie and gloves in Cambridge on Rag Day. This was taken in November 1965, and with Marilynne is Stuart Penney from Peterhouse, who was Sandra's boyfriend at the time. I only know his surname was Penney because I'd written it on the back of the photo!

I remember our corner of the Common Room which we took over and always congregated in. In the 1st year it felt very cosy and friendly getting together there as most of us were in digs. I had a real sense of "belonging" when we used to meet up in this way. By the time we were 2nd years, another group had taken over "our" space and we used to meet up more in each other's rooms then as we were residential.

4 comments:

Sandyboots said...

I think I took this one

Jackie Hutchison said...

Do you remember the fat, black cat that also frequented the common room?

Mellow Yellow said...

I don't remember the cat at all...! But I do remember Kye Keen & her 2nd year group who sat in the big bay window in the centre of the common room & "held court"!

Sandyboots said...

I don't remember the cat or Kye Keane