Monday, 27 August 2007

Now with sadness

I'm afraid my latest news is much more sad as I have just heard that one of my ex pupils has been killed in Afganistan. He was only 19 and only enlisted about 18 months ago, his parents had misgivings but he really wanted to be a soldier. You may have heard about him on the news, it was a 'friendly fire' incident by an American bomber on the compound where he was based, two other soldiers were killed. His father was on our local news channel expressing his great sorrow and anger. It seems so much worse that it was a 'friendly fire' incident ( who on earth gave it that misnomer ?) as you feel it could have been avoided. I am so anti the wars in Iraq and Afganistan and this just confirms my antipathy. Jackie

1 comment:

Mellow Yellow said...

Jackie, that is so sad. What a waste of a young life. I did prick up my ears when I heard one of those killed came from Harlow. It brings it all so close to home. "Friendly fire" is such a misnomer. Like you, I oppose the wars. There have to be other, more enlightened ways to settle disputes, but I guess humanity has a long way to go yet before that happens.