Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Another teacher in the family!

I'm proud to announce that dearest daughter has gained a post graduate teaching certificate. She trained for this "on the job" as part of her work as Education and Training manager at a large central London hospital, and attended the Institute of Education ( part of the University of London). She had assignments and an exam to do as well as having observed sessions of her teaching and training the adults she works with.

Yes, we're proud and I hope she is too! We went down to London last week for the day to attend the awards ceremony and she met us at Euston station. We had time for a quick visit to the British Museum and admired the roof of the glassed-in courtyard.

We did a fairly short tour of the Egyptian and Greek antiquities ( I'd prefer seeing them in situ rather than in London) - some of them are very striking and dramatic. Here is Rameses.

And here is Horus and his shadow. Both are striking sculptures of great significance, and although I appreciated seeing them, I would much rather they had been in their natural surroundings where - to me at any rate - it seems they should be. One could argue that they would have fallen into decay or disrepair of they'd stayed in Egypt, and that bringing them to London and other world cities where many are displayed, their cultural significance can be preserved, studied and appreciated. To me they just seemed a long way from home, out of place, and a bit sad.

We moved on then to the Institute of Education for the awards ceremony, which was very enjoyable. Along with our star receiving her PGCE, the children's book illustrator, Quentin Blake, was given an honorary degree with due pomp and ceremony, and we were treated to a stunning piano recital as part of the proceedings.

Here she is waiting to be called forward. . . . .

. . . . and then receiving her award. . . .

. . . . and giving us a twirl after it was all over!

9 comments:

Maylis & Hugh said...

Yeah, I finally got to see these picures! Thanks! Will check again if B's are available on flickr...

Jackie Hutchison said...

Congratulations Abby a great achievment as I know you had similar stressful experiences to Nicola with teacher training before you got there.

Jackie Hutchison

flats said...

Im thinking about study the teacher career, i dont know the word in english cose im spanish, but I love teaching, maybe ill be spanish teacher in england... cheers!

barbara said...

Yeah Abby !!
Congratulations to ya, and your proud family.
Hugs

Mellow Yellow said...

Hi all!

Thanks on behalf of Abby for your comments & congratulations. I guess she worked really hard for this award and I know she's already putting it to good use in her job.

Good luck with your teacher training, Flats, if you go ahead with it!

Joyce :)

seev said...

Congratulations to GreenAbby! Hard work pays off. Good luck to her on the running, and the knee, too. Nice graduation pictures of her. Good going, mother!

Mellow Yellow said...

Hi Seev,

Welcome and thanks for dropping by! Very nice to see you here reading my "other" blog, the one without the astrological psychology hat in place. And yes, I'm a very proud mum!

seev said...

Thanks, Joyce. At first I was really confused. I thought, "I've had the wrong mother for GreenAbby all this time!" Then I began to realize, "Oh, Mellow Yellow IS Joyce of Astrology fame!" You're one and the same..... like those ads you see on TV, at least here in America, where they show two people merging into one, for some crazy product or another. I like your photo here too.

Mellow Yellow said...

Hi Seev,

Thanks for that - and rest easy! It really is me! Great to welcome you to this blog shared with a couple of other college friends from way back in the 60's.

Joyce :-))