Wednesday, 5 August 2009

The Fourth Plinth - been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

The plaque on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square explaining artist Antony Gormley's project for the uninterrupted occupation of the Plinth for 100 days in 2009.

Monday 3rd August 2009 will remain a memorable day for me forever. I took my place on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square at 3 p.m. and spent a wonderful hour up there in the sunshine reading out most of the 94 words people had sent to me saying what they would like to see more of in the world. You can add your word by clicking here.

Here I am going up in the cradle which is driven to the Plinth by a JCB. That was fun!

It felt comfortable up there - no vertigo, a fantastic view, a sunny day and the company of a friendly pigeon who joined me from time to time during my hour!

Here I am with Nelson's Column to keep me company! The crowd in Trafalgar Square were very supportive and responsive. There was applause, cheering and thumbs up signs for most of the words as I read them out.

The most exciting moment was when my family, watching down below, gave me the news that my first grandchild - a little girl - had been born. As I went on the Plinth I knew my daughter-in-law was in labour (unexpectedly early as the baby was not due for another 4 weeks). My son phoned the news through from Houston, Texas where they are currently living, and my family shouted this up to me. I was utterly delighted and broke into a dance and leap of joy at the news. You can see it here on my archive hour. The news comes through 48 minutes in.

Several friends and family came along to support me (thank you guys!), including Mellow Yellow
co-author Jackie H, along with husband Derek.

And Sue, another of our group of friends from Saffron Walden College days, also came along. Here she is with Jackie.
As well as the experience, the excitement, satisfaction and very special memories, I also got a t-shirt. All the 2,400 participants gets one of these after they've been on the Plinth, and here I am wearing mine!

Addendum: The One&Other blog has also featured my "grandma moment":

The stories behind the plinthers

by Holly | 22:11 GMT, Saturday, 8 August 2009

There's been a lot of debate and discussion about what our plinthers do with their hour, but not much about what goes on in their lives outside that hour. Happily, one plinther's hour coincided with her private life, when she discovered that her grandchild had been born while she was 22 feet high! You can read the full story here.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Hello ladies,

Joyce, well done !!!

It was an un forgettable moment for everyone that was both there at the square and online.And I'm sure that you will remember it also for the rest of your life.

Now, you & Barry have a plane to catch; your family is waiting for you !!

Hugs XX

Mellow Yellow said...

Thanks Barbara - I don't know which way to turn now! Life's suddenly got even busier - and you're right, I have a plane to catch!!

Thanks for watching & for your word,

Joyce xx