Monday, 17 August 2009

Letter from America

Just 2 weeks ago I was on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square, London, using my hour up there to share the words which people had sent to me ( see previous posting). While I was up there, I learned news of the birth of my first grandchild, Madeleine, in Texas. Well here I am, 2 weeks later, in Houston Texas visiting my new granddaughter and helping out the new parents. Did all this really happen in 2 weeks?!

I'm taking this grandparenting seriously, and just a short while ago I sang her lullabies and rocked her to sleep in my arms, then passed her over to her equally-doting granddad so I could check in here.

There are lots of photos of the new-born Madeleine at her mum's blog, and you can see what my local newspaper said about me learning I'd become a grandma whilst up on the Plinth.

Oh yes - it's around 34 degrees outside, and we're watching the progress of tropical storm Bill as it crosses the Atlantic. It's pretty important to keep an eye on the development of any possible hurricanes after Ike passed through here last September!


Don't forget - you can add YOUR word to the growing list of what you would like to see more of in the world by clicking here, or emailing in1word@ymail.com

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Hello Joyce,

It's so read this post. I was more than sure that you & Barry have jumped into your new roles, and are spending much quality time with Madeleine,Maylis & Hugh.

How are you doing with the heat ?
That was wonderful that your local paper picked up on your plinth appearance and wrote you up ! Yeah !
You both take care and enjoy.
Hugs X

Mellow Yellow said...

Great to hear from you Barbara! The heat is HOT and we have to go out early in the day to cope with it and get some exercise. Otherwise we're inside in the AC and learning our new roles fast!

That is a joy for both of us, and yes, it IS quality time.

Joyce x